Kings Mountain State Park is located at 1277 Park Rd., Blacksburg, SC 29702. From Charlotte, take I-85 south to exit 8. Turn left onto Hwy 161. Go across the NC/SC state line and the park entrance will be on the right. Follow Park Rd. past the State Park Headquarters (a small wood cabin on your left) and take the first left onto the paved Group Camp Rd. There will be a sign at the turn directing you to the Living History Farm and another sign at the Living History Farm parking lot, which will be on your left. Access the Living History Farm trailhead across the street from the parking lot.
To continue to Kings Mountain National Military Park, return to Park Rd. and take a left. Follow Park Rd. a few miles. The National Park Service Visitor Center will be on your right.
- Cash: There is a $2/adult (16 and older) fee for visiting Kings Mountain State Park. Pay by putting your money in an envelope in the kiosk at the Living History Farm parking lot and hang the punch tag on your rearview mirror. Also, take a couple quarters to purchase rooster and horse feed from the gumball machines. There is no fee for Kings Mountain National Military Park.
- Shoes: Comfy sneakers will do.
- Water: Stay hydrated. You can refill at the Visor Center.
- Snacks or a picnic lunch: Take some fruit, trail mix or crackers to keep your energy up for exploring.
- Hats, sunglasses and sunscreen: The Living History Farm is wide open and bring on a sunny day. The Living History Farm trail and Battlefield trail are somewhat shady.
- Bugspray: We didn't see any mosquitoes, but ticks are always a risk.
- Backpack or small bag: Something lightweight and comfortable to carry your essentials.