The Fall Mountain Trail is a beautiful, moderate 4.1 mile loop through Morrow Mountain State Park. The natural-surface, rolling trail is easy to get to, quiet and rewarding.
Some points of interest along the trail are old grave markers -- some from the 1700s -- of folks who inhabited the land long ago. But you'll have to keep your eyes peeled to spot them; the tombstones lie off the beaten path.
It's a beautiful hike, perfect for getting a taste of fall close to home. Plan to spend a couple hours exploring and strolling. There are bathrooms and water at the parking lot.
Pack a picnic lunch and then reward yourself with a milkshake from The Sundae Shop in Midland on the drive back to town.
Morrow Mountain State Park is located at 49104 Morrow Mountain Rd, Albemarle, NC 28001. Park in the parking lot next to Lake Tillery. The trail begins and ends at the parking lot (consider taking the trail clockwise!).
Don’t forget to pack:
- Water: You can refill at the bathroom facilities in the parking lot.
- Snacks: Throw in a granola bar, trail mix or crackers. It buys you time on the trail when your tank starts running on empty.
- Backpack or satchel: Something lightweight and comfortable to carry your essentials.
- Trail map: This is a well-marked trail, but it's always good to have one to reference when you get there. Here's one you can print.
- Shoes: Comfy walking shoes or hiking boots.
- Sunscreen, hats and sunglasses: The trail is shady, but there are bright, open spots.
Post a Comment