see park map) by following the red trail until it intersects with the orange trail. Take a right and follow the orange trail less than half a mile to a gazebo (this makes a great place for a snack break!) and deck with views of the Catawba Valley and the Blue Ridge Mountains in the distance.
How to get there:
Bakers Mountain Park is located at 6680 Bakers Mountain Rd., Hickory, NC 28602.
- Comfortable, supportive shoes: The terrain can be uneven and challenging.
- Water: Stay hydrated; you can refill at the restroom facility in the parking lot.
- Snacks or lunch: There are plenty of benches and a couple of picnic shelters to stop and refuel.
- Sunscreen, hats and sunglasses: The trails are mostly shady, but there are some exposed spaces throughout the park.
- Bug spray: Ward off ticks, gnats and mosquitoes.