The Native Americans used to preserve the open space to make travel easier and facilitate the growth of herbs and berry-producing plants that were important for both food and medicines. To walk through the tall grasses under the open sky offers a peace unlike what you'll find on a typical hike in the woods.
The trail ends at a neighborhood development; retrace your steps to return to the parking lot.
Bonus: Hit the iconic Sundae Shop in Midland on the way home for a burger or milkshake!
How to get there:
The Buffalo Creek Nature Preserve parking lot and trailhead are located at 7911 Malibu Rd, Mt Pleasant, N.C. 28124.
Don't forget to pack:
- Hats, sunglasses and sunscreen: You'll need them on a clear day in the savannah portion of the trail.
- Bugspray: Ward off mosquitoes and ticks.
- Comfy shoes: The terrain is mostly flat.
- Water and snacks: To refuel.
- Bikes and helmets: Riders are welcome on the trail as long as it hasn't rained recently.