Children’s Theatre of Charlotte and we get our money’s worth out of annual memberships to the Mint Museum, Discovery Place, Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden and the North Carolina Zoo Society. Our other favorites include the Carolinas Aviation Museum and, of course, Imaginon.
But these are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to arts, science and history experiences Charlotte has to offer.
Arts and Science Council’s (ASC) upcoming Connect with Culture Days. On Friday, January 25 and Saturday, January 26, everyone will have free access to an impressive lineup of shows, museums and demonstrations.
There are thirteen different geographical hubs with activities in a single or surrounding locations. Each will offer free admission, performances or experiences scheduled throughout the day Friday and Saturday. Some require registration and space may be limited, so check before you go. Otherwise, pick the spot(s) and event(s) that excite you most and drop by for free fun.
You can find the complete line-up of experiences on the ACS website.
Here’s what we have our eye on:
- Charlotte Museum of History (3500 Shamrock Drive, Charlotte 28215): Free Admission and tours of the Hezekiah Alexander Homesite. Saturday, 1/26 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. From 2:15 p.m. to 3:15 p.m., visitors can participate in a workshop by Charlotte Ballet on West African Dance, rhythms and music.
- Northwest School of the Arts (1415 Beatties Ford Road, Charlotte 28216): Experience the Solar System Spectacular in the Starlab presented by Discovery place. Saturday, 1/26 from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Sam Lerner Center at Foundation of Shalom Park (5007 Providence Road, Charlotte 28270): Jamming Through the African Diaspora with stories music, dance and spoken word, presented by A Sign of the Times of the Carolinas. Saturday, 1/26 from 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Lebanon Road Elementary School (7300 Lebanon Road Charlotte 28227): Musical Petting Zoo presented by the Charlotte Symphony. Saturday, 1/6 from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Sugar Creek Church of Christ – Fellowship Hall (3932 Sofley Rd., Charlotte, NC 28206): The Wonderful Potential of Clay, presented by Clayworks. Saturday, 1/26 from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- McColl Center for Art + Innovation (721 N. Tryon St., Charlotte 28202): Free admission and hands-on art, demonstrations and music. Saturday 1/26 from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Levine Museum of the New South (200 E. 7th Street, Charlotte 28202): Free admission and a tour of the “Cotton Fields to Skyscrapers” permanent exhibit. Saturday, 1/26 from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Mint Museum at Levine Center for the Arts (500 S. Tryon Street, Charlotte 28202): Free admission, dance performances and hands-on activities. Saturday, 1/26 from 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Carolina Raptor Center (6000 Sample Road, Huntersville, NC 28078): Free admission, art and hands-on experiences. Saturday, 1/26 from 10 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Wing Haven (260 Ridgewood Avenue, Charlotte, NC 28209: Free admission and guided bird walks, photography workshop and mixed media art for children. Saturday, 1/26 from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.