For a short, pleasant hiking option, I recommend the 0.6-mile paved River Trail. This loop swings by the South Fork of the Catawba River, with a bench at an overlook.
How to get there:
George Poston Park is located at 1101 Lowell Spencer Mountain Road, Gastonia, NC 28056. The paved lot offers plenty of parking.
Don’t forget to take:
- Bikes and helmets: Or any riding toys if you want to enjoy the pump track
- Comfortable shoes: Hike or bike any of the 10 miles of trails
- Hats, sunglasses and sunscreen: The park is only partially shaded
- Water: Keep hydrated; refill at the restroom facilities
- Snacks or a picnic lunch: Picnic shelters and benches are available