Grayson Skatepark is located about five miles southeast of Uptown next to Naomi Drenan Recreation Center off of Wendover Rd. This 13,000 square-foot facility, owned and operated by Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation, offers features for beginners to pros. There is a street course with ledges, banks and rails and a multi-level bowl (from 5.5 feet to 10.5 feet deep).
A few things to know before you go:
- All participants must complete a waiver and sign in at the reception desk in the recreation center.
- Helmets, knee pads and elbow pads are mandatory.
- Day-use fee is $2/youth and $5/adult for county residents (Non-resident day-use fees are $5/youth and $8/adult. Three-month and annual passes are also available.)
- Hours of operation are Monday-Friday, noon to sunset; Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.; and Sunday 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- In case of inclement weather, the Skatepark closes. To check conditions, call 704-432-5231 or 980-314-1100.
Other amenities at this facility include playgrounds and ball fields and a gym, arts and crafts room and teen room inside the rec center.
Even if you are not an extreme sports enthusiast, this is a great venue for switching things up with your riding toys and spending some quality active time outdoors.
How to get there:
Grayson Skatepark is located at 750 Beal Street, Charlotte, NC, 28211.
Don't forget to take:
- Skateboard, BMX bike, inline skates or scooter
- Helmet and knee and elbow pads
- A signed waiver
- Money for the day-use fee
- Water and snacks