There's a new nature preserve in town and I'm a big fan. Steven's Creek Nature Preserve, located in Mint Hill, NC, about 30 minutes east of uptown, is home to a new, state-of-the-art Nature Center (currently closed due to COVID-19) and some really beautiful trails.
this 3.7-mile hike with the dog (pets are welcome -- on leash, please!), and everyone was happy with the outing.
The preserve trails are shady, mostly flat, not too technical, and well marked with spray-paint blazes (orange squares, yellow triangles and blue circles) on trees.
Some considerations to note:
- Don't go after rain. There are several low-lying areas that are prone to swampy flooding and your feet will get soaked. I understand plans are in the works for a boardwalk or footbridge over one particularly squishy area near the beginning of the trail.
- Look for wildlife! During our visit, we spotted a pack of deer and a heron.
- Though it's currently closed to the general public due to the pandemic, the Nature Center offers small group programs. You can check those out here.
How to get there: Steven's Creek Nature Center and Preserve are located at 15700 Thompson Rd., Mint Hill, North Carolina 28227.
Don't forget to pack:
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Water and snacks
- Hats, sunglasses and sunscreen
- Bug spray
Post a Comment