GovPorch, a colorful, creative space for play and relaxation.
GovPorch debuted in 2017, dreamed up by a City of Charlotte team that won a grant in the national $1 million KaBOOM Play Everywhere Challenge. KaBOOM supports projects designed to make play easy and accessible for kids and families in the U.S. The $35,000 grant helped the City realize the dream of reimagining the drab and underutilized space.
Today, you'll find:
- A parking meter garden
- A giant chess set
- Life-size lego blocks
- A permanent ping-pong table
- A super-sized Connect4 game
- Rocking chairs
- Benches and tables
- Musical wind chimes
Next time you're uptown, plan to spend some fun and relaxing time on GovPorch.
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Government Center Plaza is located at 600 E. Fourth St., Charlotte, NC 28202. There's a parking garage around the corner at 232 S. Davidson St., or you can look for on-street metered parking. Another great option is to ditch the car and ride Lynx. GovPorch is a few short blocks from the nearest train stop.
Don't forget to pack:
- Sunscreen, hats and sunglasses: For all the fun things to do at GovPorch, there isn't much shade.
- Change: Consider a pocketful of coins for on-street parking meters.
- Snacks or lunch: It's a lovely area for a picnic.
- Comfortable shoes: In case you want to wander around uptown.