Today, I commend to you another "other" Crowders Mountain trail: The Ridgeline Trail. This Carolina Thread Trail is actually 12-miles long and runs from Crowders Mountain State Park to Kings Mountain State Park.
For this hike, take a right.
At the 0.8 mile mark, you'll have to cross a road. Use the crosswalk and caution to cross safely.
About a mile and a half from the trailhead, you'll reach Buzzard's Roost, a giant outcropping of boulders. This area offers several overlook options and a landing for taking a rest. Kids will enjoy exploring the big rocks and you might catch a glimpse of some rock climbers.
Of course, you can continue on for many more miles, or head back to the parking lot from here.
However far you care to hike and no matter when you plan to go, you'll find the Ridgeline Trail to be a pleasant option for a refreshing walk in the woods.
How to get there: The Boulders Access Area of Crowders Mountain State Park is located at 108 Vandyke Rd., Kings Mountain, NC 28086.
Don't forget to pack:
- Comfortable shoes: Hiking boots or something sturdy to traverse rocky terrain and short climbs.
- Water: Refill at the restroom facilities.
- A day pack: With snacks or a picnic lunch.
- Hiking stick: Optional, but helpful.
- Hats, sunglasses and sunscreen: The hike is shady, but there are open areas along the way.