26 nature preserves located throughout Mecklenburg County, which means you probably live close enough to one to make a quick trip on a whim.
We've been to many of our local nature preserves and some of our favorites are Big Rock Nature Preserve, Evergreen Nature Preserve, Reedy Creek Nature Preserve, and RibbonWalk Nature Preserve. Recently we checked out Clarks Creek Nature Preserve and will definitely add it to our rotation.
trail map.) This terrain is good for all ages and skill levels. I recommend the Bluebird Loop, which is a little over a mile long. It will take you through some wooded areas and you can tack on loops to go by the creek or the pond.
Our weather is so whacky these days, it's hard to know what to expect. But the next time a spring day sneaks up on you in February, keep nature preserves in mind. Clarks Creek is one of many wonderful options we have around here.
How to get there:
Clarks Creek Nature Preserve is located at 5542 Hucks Rd., Charlotte, NC 28269.
Don't forget to pack:
- Hats, sunglasses and sunscreen: The trails are only partially shaded.
- Comfortable shoes: Something supportive for easy terrain.
- Water: Stay hydrated. You can refill if needed at the Clarks Creek Community Park across the street.
- Snacks or a picnic lunch: Spread a blanket or enjoy the picnic shelter.
- Bugspray: Fend off mosquitoes in summer months.