Founders Trail, a Carolina Thread Trail located in Tega Cay, SC, about 30 minutes from Uptown, is a 2.3-mile (one way) trail good for biking and hiking.
Mason's Bend Trail. You can also take a right to follow a short spur trail to a river overlook, which is worth an extra 5-10 minutes of your time for this outing.
Follow the sidewalk connector across the river to the Riverwalk greenway at the Pump House. We chose to skip this leg of the hike, opting to retrace our steps along the service road and back to the trailhead parking lot.
Founders Trail offers a bit of an unconventional hike, but that is part of its appeal. A bonus is being able to tack on Riverwalk or Mason's Bend at either end of the excursion. If you're looking to cover new and different ground, consider this outing.
How to get there:
The Founders Trail trailhead is located in a parking lot at the end of Weir Court in Tega Cay, SC, 29708. Start by the map kiosk.
You can start at the other end of the trail by parking at the Piedmont Medical Center Trail (Riverwalk) trailhead parking lot by the Pump House at 575 Herrons Ferry Rd., Rock Hill, SC 29730.
Don't forget to pack:
- Comfortable walking shoes: Wear something that you don't mind getting muddy if it's rained lately.
- Bikes and helmets: A nice option if you'd prefer to ride.
- Water: Bring plenty for before and after your hike; there are no facilities for refills.
- Snacks: Enjoy a refueling break on a bench by the river.
- Hats, sunglasses and sunscreen: The trail is only partially shaded.
- Bug spray: Especially during summer months.