Maybe you’ve already taken your family vacation, the kids have been to camp, and you’ve visited all of your go-to entertainment destinations (. . . several times over).
Maybe you’re feeling fatigued or uninspired. Or maybe you’re eager to do Summertime Things as your schedule allows, to inject some sense of adventure into your typical year-round routine.
May I offer some suggestions?
Below are lists some of our favorite activities and outings – something for everyone (kids, no kids, grandkids, kids at heart. . .) for whatever free time you have (weekdays, weekends, before work, after work) – all in and around the Charlotte area.
Summer may be half over, but there’s still plenty of time for playing. Go ahead, try something new. Make the most of those open weekends, unscheduled evenings, yawning weekdays, and squishy lunch hours. Your next adventure is calling!
- Bike Playground!: Take your two-wheelers for a spin around this pint-sized cityscape.
- Village Park in Kannapolis: Features a double-decker carousel, miniature train rides, a sprayground and trails.
- Dan Nichols Park: All sorts of amusement park attractions (for only a dollar!) beautifully nestled in nature.
- Take a StoryWalk: Books in parks. Brilliant and fun!
- Veteran's Sprayground: Our favorite splash pad in town.
- The Cotton Candy Factory!: When's the last time you've been to a candy shop? Yum!
- Take the train to UNCC botanical gardens: Tour north Charlotte by train, and UNCC by foot.
- The Secret Garden: Explore this magical Charlotte gem at your leisure.
- Art Walk on the Rail Trail: Discover dozens of bright, quirky, and curious displays along the tracks.
- Bike Charlotte: Find a bike-friendly route near you, pump up your tires, and venture out.
- Queen City Treasure Hunt: Search for these Charlotte treasures hidden very much in plain site.
Discover and Learn
- Trail of History: Discover Charlotte's rich history. Great for exercise, exploration and education.
- Carolina Raptor Center: Fun trails, dozens of species, and the largest owl aviary in the Southeast.
- The Scheile Museum: Beautiful outdoor trails and compelling indoor exhibits.
- Reed Gold Mine: Full of history, fresh air, and (still!) a little bit of gold.
Hiking and Biking
- Seven Oaks Preserve: Gorgeous, peaceful trail by the lake. Great for bikes or boots.
- Colonel Frances Beaty Park: Our favorite mountain biking trails in town.
- Big Rock Nature Preserve: Check out Charlotte's greatest natural wonder.
- Evergreen Nature Preserve: Explore this quiet, green urban oasis, just a short drive from uptown.
- Purser-Hulsey Park: Take the clever, whimsical Painted Rock Trail to an enchanted forest.
- Anne Springs Close Greenway: This giant preserve offers miles of trails, living history and a swinging bridge.
- Reedy Creek Nature Preserve: We like it for the hiking trails, nature center and multiple playgrounds.
- Mineral Springs: A beautiful trail along a creek, just outside of town.
- A hike back in time: Beautiful, mystical and moving.
- Rocky Face Mountain Rec Area: Start with a zipline at the quarry, take a hike on the trails, picnic on the mountain face.